Tuesday 5 April 2011

Catching Up for the New Season

I’m sorry to have been missing in action for so long.  I had to leave this blog in limbo while I dealt with other priorities and it got shuffled off the list.

We left you while we were in Devon and will catch up on that later but I’ll just give an overview of what has been going on over the past six months.  This may take several posts!

 

Alan went to Cuba in early October to speak at a conference.  He’s written an account of it here so I’ll leave you to read that at your leisure.

 

Mac on Dartmoor

This is the last photo of Mac, taken while we were in Devon. The day after Alan flew off to Cuba, Mac collapsed while we were out walking.  He recovered enough to get back to the car but he curled up on a chair in the sitting room and couldn’t manage the stairs that night.  He was no better the next day and Sunday night I sat downstairs with him.

On the Monday, I took him to the vets and he confirmed that his heart was in a bad way and that we would have to keep him confined to the house if I wanted to prolong his life.

Mac lived for his walks and his quality of life would be so poor that there was no option but to help him over the last hurdle of his life.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must done,
For this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad - I understand,
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship will stand the test.

RIP Mac.

Scarborough 127 - smallerMac 1

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back!
    But very sorry to hear about Mac. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy. It was sad - as it always is when one has to take the decision - but he was well over 16 and was active right to the end. I couldn't let him go on with a restricted life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about Mac, Pat. Can understand why you made that decision - when you have pets you have to do what's right for them. :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails